Monday, January 25, 2010

My newsletter

Lifting Club (long overdue)

I hope everyone hasn’t forgotten me. I know it has been awhile since my last newsletter, so I was expecting throngs of you to be asking me, “bro, when are you going to send out another awesome, information-filled, hilarious newsletter?” Much to my surprise, nobody said anything like that. Nobody.

But enough about me. The Green Cup Challenge is starting up soon and they’ve been showing some interesting documentaries on Tuesday nights at Commons. I’ve seen a few of them before and they’re worth checking out. Due to my negligence, I failed to promote “Food, Inc.” which they showed a week ago. The documentary’s goal is lift the “veil” that major food companies have put over your eyes because if you found out where your food was coming from you might stop giving the companies your money. It’s an informative and relatively brief documentary (it’s a walk in the park after watching any Spike Lee film) that will change your perception of the food you eat. To put it in layman’s terms, “Food, Inc” could quite possibly rock your socks off. I saw it with my parents a few months ago and my dad, who’s not much for hippy stuff, called it “terrifying.” I know you must be bummed right now because you missed the showing, but you can find it on youtube. You can also read “The Omnivore’s Dilemma,” but who actually wants to read books these days?

For this week’s recommended reading, here’s a powerlifter’s testimonial about his experience on the caveman diet. Not only did he go from being a fat ass to shredded, but he experienced a few side effects that most people would consider miracles: his lifelong asthma disappeared and so did his arthritis. It also cured his erectile dysfunction. Okay, I made one of those up. Still, the fact that a basic diet can cure common maladies that doctors can only shrug their shoulders at means something.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/finding_the_line.htm

Not totally related, but I’ve found directions for building a homemade TRX (Phil’s torturous strap-thing) and hope to build it over break. When I say “hope to build it,” I actually mean “I’m going to have Chris do all the work while I stand back and try not to mess anything up because he’s great with tools and I suck.” It seems easy enough, so I (meaning Chris) could make many TRX’s and all the world will rejoice. If all goes according to plan, my core will be so strong I’ll be able to grate a cheese grater on my abs.

That’s all for this week. I’ll be less lazy next time.

Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment