Monday, July 5, 2010

Quick Musings

- Spent the weekend up in New Hampshire at our new condo in Sunapee. It's on a golf course, next to a lake, with tennis courts, basketballs courts, and hiking trails everywhere. I was outside a lot, got a nice tan (for the vitamin d, of course), and surprised myself with my golf game. I played well for not having hit a golf ball in a year.

- I cruised through Andre Agassi's autobiography, "Open." I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something to read. It's not just for sports fans. I'll have a more formal review of that and "The Red Queen" soon.

- I did some training over the weekend. One day I set up the TRX at the playground nearby the condo and did some conditioning circuits as well as some Bill Desimone-inspired chinups on the TRX. This morning I went on a barefoot run up the hill to the condo in the morning (it's very hilly out there). I did 1 minute intervals of work and rest. The hill helped with the forefoot striking. I think my form is improving, but I'm taking a gradual approach just in case. The workout itself was challenging, but brief. I still am on the fence about steady state cardio and will stick to shorter work intervals for now.

- I discovered yucca while in a grocery store on the trip up. It's a tuber, but there are some issues about cyanide content. It seems like you can eliminate the issue by cooking it, so I am concerned. Still, it's a staple in some healthy H-G societies. I'll look into the preparation more. The first few times I had it I just pan fried it in butter or coconut oil and sprinkled some cinnamon on it. It has less flavor than sweet potatoes, but I don't mind it.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment