Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sled + Weight + Snowy Hill = Exhaustion

Winter break is only a reprieve from the doldrums and suffering of schoolwork. For wrestling, there is no break, but when I'm on the couch and it's 30 degrees outside there is little motivation to move. Sadly, loafing around all day isn't a choice right now. For yesterday's workout I got a little creative. During the summer, hill sprints prove to be one helluva training session. However, the closest hill isn't big and I didn't want to walk far in the cold, so I made a compromise with my lazier half: weighted hill sprints.

I took a typical snow sled, filled it with a 25lb sandbag and two sledgehammers, and proceeded to dominate the little hill for half an hour. To give you an idea, I bore a stark resemblance to a dog in the Iditarod. Wonderful. There was no template or work-to-rest ratio, just sprint up, slide down, and repeat.













Ten minutes in I was heating up and took off my hat. A few minutes later, I removed my gloves and sweatshirt, leaving me wearing a t-shirt as I sprinted up and slid down the snowy covered hill on a chilly New England afternoon. The neighbors were definitely a little freaked out.



It was more fun than I expected it to be and an ample workout that got my heart rate up a bit. Next time, I plan to move to a bigger hill, which could make this suicidal--perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment